Friday, January 21, 2011

Sweet Potato and Pinto Bean Chili



I'm linking up with Trish over at This Life of Ours for What's Cooking Wednesday(a little late, I know :P )


My recipe is one that actually have yet to try, but I am can't wait to buy the ingredients when I go grocery shopping on Monday so I can try this baby out!
Ingredients:2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 medium onions, chopped (I'll be omitting these-can't stand onions!)
2 tbsp mexican chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
2 cup vegetable broth
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 (28-oz./796 can diced tomatoes
2 (19-oz./540 mL each) cans pinto (or other-I prefer kidney beans), drained and rinsed or 4 cups/1 L home-cooked beans
1tsp salt 
1 tsp crumbled dried oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne (or less, to taste)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (don't have any, so omitting)

Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven.  Add the onions and cook, stirring, over medium heat until the onions are soft-about 5 minutes.  Add the chili powder and the cumin and cook for another minute or so.  Add the vegetable broth and the cubed sweet potatoes, reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, until the potatoes are almost tender-about 10 minutes.

Add the tomatoes with all the juice from the can, the beans, salt, oregano, and cayenne.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, then let simmer until the potatoes are completely tender-about 20 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in the chopped fresh cilantro.
Serve with rice or corn bread and sprinkled with shredded cheese, if you like.
Makes 6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment